Saturday, June 26, 2010

So Far So Good

Yesterday at Duke, Jerry had some procedures and Tony had his two shots of the day to help grow his stem cells. Today, Jerry is having all day chemo, and Anthony is continuing with his shots. We are in a special bone marrow stem cell wing of the hospital. It is very comfortable, with a family lounge and a good cafeteria across the street. Despite the 99 degree temps, Tony and I regularly make the trek for hot coffee. As I type, Jerry is having chemo and resting comfortably, no doubt dreaming of drinking beer (a now forbidden beverage) back at home.

As you would expect, there are lots of other patients and family members walking around the halls. We all seem to share the same knowing glances, and it starts to feel comfortable here rather quickly. Except for all the "ya all"s that we hear so often. That will take time to get used to. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

1 comment:

  1. Went to a James Taylor/Carole King concert on Friday. Was thinking of you all as they sang:
    When you're down and troubled
    And you need a helping hand
    And nothing, whoa nothing, is going right.
    Close your eyes and think of me
    And soon I will be there
    To brighten up even your darkest nights.
    You just call out my name,
    And you know whereever I am
    I'll come running, oh yeah baby
    To see you again.
    Winter, spring , summer, or fall,
    All you have to do is call
    And I'll be there,
    You've got a freind.
    If the sky above you
    Should turn dark and full of clouds
    And that old north wind should begin to blow
    Keep your head together and call my name out loud
    And soon I will be knocking upon your door.
    You just call out my name and you know where ever I am
    I'll come running to see you again....
    OKAY, IT AIN'T SHAKESPEARE, but damn well nothing is!
    Lots of people are pulling for you guys.
    Love, Lu

    ReplyDelete