Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Transplant part one

Around 1:00 today, after a morning of preparatory drugs and evaluations, Jerry received the stem cells that Anthony donated yesterday. Anthony donated more today, which Jerry will get tomorrow. It took about 6 hours to collect the cells from Anthony. Jerry received them in just one hour. One of the nurse practitioners said that in the next weeks, Anthony's bone marrow will begin to take over Jerry's. Until then, Jerry has virtually no immune system, so I definitely can't hug him, although I thought I saw the boys exchange a pretty hearty high five today after the transplant. And it seems they called each other "bro" an awful lot, too.I started to feel left out, but then they called me "mom," and I felt oddly comforted.

We are relaxing now, glad that the awful chemo days are behind us. I think dad would have been proud that we all hung in there for each other.

1 comment:

  1. I read your updates every night so I feel like I'm there with the 3 of you...so glad that the worst seems to be over and Jerry is back to his flirty old self! Vinnie, you are amazing to be taking care of the two guys and don't let the teasing bother you...they love you so much - that's their way of showing it! Kristen is home safe and sound so you can sleep tonite!

    ReplyDelete