Thursday, July 8, 2010

Leaving for NJ

It's been a month since our dad passed away and two weeks since we started Jerry's transplant journey. If there is any truth to the quote "that which does not kill you makes you stronger," then our family is pretty tough right now. Toughest of all is my little brother, of course. I am in awe of his determination, good spirit, and good humor.

This is my last night in NC. It is hard to leave Jerry in the midst of procedures, but I know he is in good hands. There are many people who love him here and want to help. Despite the trying circumstances, I am glad I had the chance to spend time with both my brothers. It's not every day that adult siblings leave their lives behind and live together as they once did in childhood.

As I type, Jerry is answering mail and deciphering insurance papers. He at last feels well enough and sharp enough to concentrate. I am glad I did not have to leave when he was so sick with fever and had to be hospitalized. I am sure I could not have done that. Thanks to all my friends who have been sending me words of encouragement and support and all of Jerry's who have sent him their love and good wishes. It makes such a difference.

I am counting on Jerry and his supporters to keep me posted so I can write this blog. If I don't hear from anyone, I will just hop on a plane and come back. "That's not a threat; that's a promise." I sound like an honorary SWAT member. Maybe they'll make me one...

No comments:

Post a Comment